Saturday 27 January 2018

Travelling with MS

I thought a article about travel would suit,considering that is what i have been doing.
 i must say i am pretty lucky to travel between Australia and Monaco and especially first class. but having MS is a whole new thing,even travelling in style. Everyone needs to deal with jetlag,time differences etc.

 it starts with packing. Packing is not a big issue for me but packing my medication for my 3 month trip can be pretty challenging. Firstly i need to pre order my medicine,then decide how much goes in my suitcase,hand luggage and handbag. The reason i divide my medication is so whatever happens,it be with my suitcase or hand luggage i will have my medicines in either bag incase one gets lost. I would say that i look like a pharmacie shop and having my supply in my handbag can be challenging too. I need to make sure i have my prescription of my medication with me,incase i get asked about my supply. This has not been the case as yet but better save then sorry. if i forgot to put a certain medication in my handbag,i know that i have my supply in my handluggage. it's my back up.

 I also found travelling in comfort leaves a lot of stress behind. The problem is i like fashion and i like to look nice,especially travelling first class. I know my husband and boys go in their training pants and they are all prepared for the relaxed way of travel. I can't do it. So i figured i can still travel in style but just wear my thongs with it. You be surprised how easy they are for travel. These days with our security check points they can become quite handy. I don't need to take my shoes off and walk straight trough. as soon as i am on the plane,on goes my socks. i have another pair of shoes to put on as soon as i arrive at my other destination.

 Having MS there are some disadvantages with travel. I tend to get pain in my leg due to air pressure. This sucks because i am enjoying my free time watching Tv and indulging myself. I try to drink water and try to get up often to reduce the pain. I haven't found anything for this pain as yet. If anyone has please tell me. Jet lagged . Everyone gets this,but having MS all our symptoms seem to go crazy,well for me anyway. I always get on with the stuff that needs to be done once i arrive at our destination but my body doesn't want to. Everything is double as bad . My symptoms just seem to go out of control. i just need to take my rest and let things be until my body is ready again.

My other problem is standing in line waiting to be checked in or waiting for the check point for our passports. I often have trouble standing too long. This is a lot less flying first class but depending on the flight schedule and how busy it is,it still takes ages.

 What i do find that helps me,is trying to be prepared with the way you are organised . This just helps me to feel more comfortable and prepared if anything happens,be it medication wise or standing on your feet too long and having your thongs with you or on. Being dressed cool is another factor for me. i often get too hot and once i am over heated i get anxiety. Wearing something cool seems to help this situation. I always have a sweater with me incase it gets too cold.

Well these are little tips for travelling and i am sure i will learn many more in the coming months. My next trip will be in a few weeks and just realise i need to order my supply. Ugh.

good luck warriors :)

Mascha :)

No comments:

Featured post

Best Support Ever.

 I have been wanting to write about this many times as it is so important in my life. Having a good support network is so important and our ...